India wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha, who has been dropped from the Test team, on Saturday revealed that BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had assured him of a Test spot after the New Zealand series, but the head coach Rahul Dravid has told him to think about “retirement” as he won’t be considered for selection henceforth.
Saha, who last played in the New Zealand home series, was part of the India squad in the three-Test series in South Africa but didn’t feature in the playing XI. Wriddhiman had pulled out of the Ranji Trophy as he had been told that he wouldn’t be selected in the Indian team.
“The team management told me that I would not be considered henceforth. I could not tell this so long as I was part of the India team setup,” an explosive Wriddhiman told the media on Saturday.
“Even coach Rahul Dravid suggested that I think about taking retirement,” he spilled the beans on classified conversations with the head coach.
Wriddhiman also hit out at BCCI president Sourav Ganguly, whom he claimed had assured him that he shouldn’t worry about his place in the team. Saha said that Ganguly messaged him after he played a crucial unbeaten knock of 61 despite being injured to bail India out of trouble in the first Test against New Zealand.
“When I hit an unbeaten 61 taking a pain-killer in the first Test against New Zealand in Kanpur last November, Dadi (as Sourav was referred to by Bengal players) congratulated me over Whatsapp.
“He even mentioned that I should not worry about anything so long as he is at the helm of the BCCI. Such a message from the board president really boosted my confidence. But I failed to understand why everything changed so fast,” he added.