Australian superstar Pat Cummins took the internet by storm after he destroyed the bowling unit of Mumbai Indians (MI) to script a memorable victory for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the 14th match of the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 on Wednesday.
Cummins smashed the half-century off just 14 deliveries, equaling KL Rahul‘s feat of the fastest fifty in the history of the cash-rich league. The 28-year-old, who was playing his first game of IPL 2022, took MI bowlers to the cleaners from the word go.
MI pacer Daniel Sams was, in particular, on the receiving end of Cummins’ masterclass. The New South Wales cricketer slammed Sams for 35 runs, making it the third most expensive over in the history of the lucrative league. As a result, the two-time champions crossed the line in just 16 overs, winning the game by five wickets.
Here’s how the over went:
- 15.1 – Sams to Cummins – SIX
- 15.2 – Sams to Cummins – FOUR
- 15.3 – Sams to Cummins – SIX
- 15.4 – Sams to Cummins – SIX
- 15.5 – Sams to Cummins – No Ball + 2 runs
- 15.5 – Sams to Cummins – FOUR
- 15.6 – Sams to Cummins – SIX
Most expensive overs in IPL history:
- 37 – Prasanth Parameshwaran vs RCB Bengaluru 2011
- 37 – Harshal Patel vs CSK Mumbai WS 2021
- 35 – Daniel Sams vs KKR Pune 2022*
- 33 – Ravi Bopara vs KKR Kolkata 2010
- 33 – Parwinder Awana vs CSK Mumbai WS 2014
“I probably think I’m most surprised by that innings. I’m glad that it came off. I was thinking of having a swing if it was in my area. Wasn’t trying to overthink it. Very satisfying to do it on my first game this season. Was just trying to pepper the shorter boundary,” said Cummins after the match.